Definition: Stress is the body's reaction to a change that requires a physical, mental or emotional adjustment or response.
Hans Selye, the father of modern stress research, defined Stress as "any event which may make demands upon the organism, and set in motion a non-specific bodily response which leads to a variety of temporary or permanent physiological or structural changes".
Stress Management Strategies
Stress management strategy #1: Avoid unnecessary stress
- Learn how to say “no
- Avoid people who stress you out
- Take control of your
- Avoid hot-button topics
- Pare down your to-do list
Stress management strategy #2: Alter the situation
- Express your feelings instead of bottling them up
- Be willing to compromise.
- Be more assertive
- Manage your time better.
Stress management strategy #3: Adapt to the stressor
- Reframe problems
- Look at the big picture
- Adjust your standards
- Focus on the positive.
Stress management strategy #4: Accept the things you can’t change
- Don’t try to control the uncontrollable.
- Look for the upside.
- Share your feelings
- Learn to forgive.
Stress management strategy #5: Make time for fun and relaxation
- Set aside relaxation time
- Connect with others.
- Do something you enjoy every day.
- Keep your sense of humor. This includes the ability to laugh at yourself.
Stress management strategy #6: Adopt a healthy lifestyle
- Exercise regularly..
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Reduce caffeine and sugar.
- Avoid alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs.
- Get enough sleep.